We have seen some pretty cool projects completed with the Raspberry Pi, this has to be one of our favourites. You will never be bored again with this fantastic little arcade machine! This Raspberry Pi-powered kit combines an Adafruit Sharp PiTFT 2.8″ display, mini thumbstick, and mini arcade push buttons (along with a few other essential components) to create the coolest arcade micro machine in the known universe.
The kit comprises of lots of parts including all electronic components, the laser cut case, power adapter, and a blank SD card (you’ll need this to burn the CupCade image on). You provide the Raspberry Pi model B, a soldering iron, solder, wire, basic electronic hand tools and tape and you are away! Give yourself a nice, long Saturday afternoon to put this baby together (about 4-6 hours approx).
- PiTFT Mini Kit
- 5V 1A (1000mA) USB port power supply
- USB ‘Noodle’ Cable – A/MicroB – 3ft
- Laser cut acrylic Cupcade Enclosure
- 13 x Nylon 4-40 Hexnuts
- 13 x Nylon 1/2in Pan Screws
- 3 x 2-56 1/4″ Black SS Machine Screw
- 3 x 2-56 Black SS Hex Nut
- Nylon Spacer – 3/16″ Long
- 4 GB SD/MicroSD Memory Card BLANK SD CARD! You will have to burn the SD card with the Cupcade raspbian image
- Analog 2-axis Thumb Joystick with Select Button + Breakout Board
- 2 x 16mm Panel Mount Momentary Pushbutton – Black
- 2 x 16mm Panel Mount Momentary Pushbutton – Red
- Arcade/Button Quick-Connect Wire Pair – Set of 10 pairs
- 8 Ohm 1 Watt – Speaker – 3″ Diameter
- Right-Angle 3.5mm Stereo Plug to Pigtail Cable
- Premium Female/Female Jumper Wires – 40 x 6″
- Custom Cup-cade controller board
No kit would be complete without some more of the memorable old arcade games, like Ms Pacman, Galaga, Donkey Kong, Arkanoid, DigDug and Gauntlet. More advanced users might try overclocking the Pi to play the more power intensive games. There are four buttons in total, two next to the joystick for “fire” and “jump” and two in front for “coin” and “start”. If you set up your Cupcade for ‘horizontal’ alignment, you can even run classic Famicom/Nintendo games at full speed. Amazing!
Where can I buy one? Currently shipping from the USA, they retail for around $120 built, but there is no fun without building it yourself! If you shop around you will find UK importers, for the full project.
Like what you see?
Sign up for the Essential Business Tips Series.